Here are some frequently asked questions.

Where is City Court held?

Winchester City Court is held at Winchester City Hall in the courtroom.  Court is held twice each month on the second and third Wednesday at 4:00 pm.  The Winchester City Judge is Trudy McKelvy Edwards.  County Drug Court is held each Thursday evening at 7 pm in the City Courtroom with Judge Buddy Perry presiding.

What is the property tax rate for the City of Winchester?

The City of Winchester has a property tax rate of $0.8233.

When are property taxes due?

Property Taxes are due and payable from October 1st through February 28th without penalty.  After February 28th, there is a 5% penalty along with a 1/2% interest for each month past due.

Are there Property Tax Relief programs available?

The State of Tennessee offers Property Tax Relief for homeowners that are Elderly (65 years old or older) or Disabled, and your total income is less than $28,690.  There is also a Tax Relief Program for Disabled Veteran Homeowners, and for Widows of a Disabled Veteran.  You may apply for the City Tax Relief Program at City Hall to see if you qualify.  Some limitations do apply.  Income amounts are subject to change each year by the State of Tennessee.  Call Winchester City Hall (967-2532) for more information.

Are there Property Tax Relief programs available?

The State of Tennessee offers Property Tax Relief if you are disabled or 65 years old or older and your income is less than $20,000.  Some limitations do apply.  Call City Hall (967-2532) for more information.

Do I need a business license?

If you are operating or doing business in the city limits of Winchester, a city business permit is required.  This is in addition to your country business license or other permits (such as a building permit) that you may already have.  Call Judy or Teena at City Hall (967-2532) for information.

Do peddlers have to obtain a business license?

You may apply for a Transient Vendor’s License, which is $50.00 and is good for a period of 14 consecutive days

What is the cost of a business license?

The cost to apply for a new city business is $15.00.  Applications for a City of Winchester business license may be picked up at City Hall business office Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm.  Applications may also be mailed or faxed upon request.  Call Judy at City Hall (967-2532) to find out your classification.

Who do I notify when a business is closing?

When a business closes, they must file a closing business tax return with the State of Tennessee Department of Revenue (800/342-1003 or on their website) as soon as possible, as well as notify Judy at Winchester City Hall (967-2532).  If you do not file this closing report, the Tennessee Dept. of Revenue will consider your business as still being in operation and you could be responsible for additional penalties for failing to keep your business license paid up-to-date.  If a business changes address/location, they must still notify the Tennessee Dept. of Revenue and Judy at Winchester City Hall.

When does City Council meet?

The Winchester City Council meets on the second Tuesday of each month at 6:00 pm.  If a Public Hearing is scheduled, meeting time is also 6:00 pm.

Can I receive copies of ordinances, resolutions and City Council minutes?

All ordinances, resolutions and minutes are archived at City Hall.  They may be viewed at City Hall durig normal business hours or copies purchased for $0.25 a page.  Or the actual meeting of the Winchester Council may be viewed on Winchester's very own EGTV Channel 12 following each meeting and at 9:00 am Wednesday morning.  Council meeting minutes are archived on the city website.

Do I need to obtain a permit before having a garage or yard sales?

You must obtain permission from the City before having either a yard sale or a garage sale.  Permits can be applied for at the City Hall Annex between the hours of 8:00 am and 4:30 pm at a cost of $5.00.  You must obtain this permit at least three days before the event. You are only allowed to have two yard sales a year.  For more information call 962-8973 or check Ordinance No. 833.

When is City Hall open?

City Hall is open 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday.  We are closed for the following holidays:  New Years Day, Martin Luther King Day, Presidents Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day,  July 4th Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and the Friday following Thanksgiving, Christmas Day and the day before or after Christmas - holidays that fall on Sunday are typically observed the following Monday, and holidays that fall on Saturday are typically observed on Friday.

Where do I pick up accident reports?

You come to Winchester Police Department to pick up an accident or offense report that occurred in the city limits of Winchester.  There is no charge for Accident reports.  The Police Department is located at 402 2nd Avenue S.W.